Tuesday 22 November 2016

Assignment #6

Today, a group  of classmates presented a Steve Jobs's Stanford University Commencement Address. The speech video was taken from youtube. This is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc

5 words/sentences I learned from the speech:
1. Sign: To write one's name on a letter/document for purposes of identificatio or authorization. Example: He signed the adoption papers in the end.
2. Naively: In a way that shows a lack of experience, wisdom or judgement. Example: He naively chose the pretty yet unreliable car over the long-lasting one.
3. Calligraphy: decorative handwriting or handwritten lettering. Example: A Chinese calligraphy portrait.
4. Creative: relating to or involving the use of imagination or original ideas to create something. Example: The creative industry is growing bigger each year.
5. Diagnosis: the identification of the nature of an illness or other problem by examination of the symptoms. Example: The final diagnosis of his illness is lung cancer.

I like the 3 life stories Steve Jobs told us in the commencement address. They are simple, yet very interesting. They are also told to us by Steve Jobs, one of the most successful people in the world in his time. It suggests that if we follow the loose manual that is the three stories, we will be successful too, though according to our own definition. So far, I cannot relate to his experiences, since I am more reluctant to take risks in my life, and I was born in a family with perhaps better financial condition than the Jobs had back then. Nevertheless, the talk does inspire me to be more daring to follow my dreams and be more decisive.  I am young, but I will not be for forever. Therefore, I must take advantage of my youth while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment